Thank you for your interest in Sidwell Friends School!
We are now fully enrolled for the 2017/18 school year, and the application season for the 2018/19 school year begins on September 1, 2017. In the meantime, we encourage you to explore our website to begin learning more about our school community.
Sidwell Friends by the Numbers
students of color
tuition for 2017/18
of students receive financial aid
annual financial aid budget
average financial aid award
Here is a list of the questions we are most often asked by families who are interested in applying to Sidwell Friends. We hope it is helpful to you as you begin the process, but please don’t hesitate to reach out to the Admissions Office for assistance.
- How many students does Sidwell Friends have in each division?
- In which grades does Sidwell Friends admit new students?
- What is the student-teacher ratio?
- What are the hours of the school day?
- Does Sidwell Friends provide lunch?
- Does Sidwell Friends have before-school and after-school care?
- Which grades offer interscholastic sports?
- Is bus transportation available?
- Does Sidwell Friends have any boarding students?
The School admits most new students in the expansion grades:
- Prekindergarten: 20 new students
- Kindergarten: 28 new students
- 3rd grade: 12 new students
- 4th grade: 10 new students
- 6th grade: 16 new students
- 7th grade: 16 new students
- 9th grade: 30 new students
Students may be admitted in non-expansion grades if space is available. No students are admitted in 12th grade.
Sidwell Friends does not provide bus transportation to and from school, but both campuses are near public transportation:
- The Wisconsin Avenue (Middle/Upper School) campus is 0.7 miles from the Tenleytown/AU Metro station on the Red Line. Metrobus lines 30, 31, 33, 96, H3, and H4 serve the campus.
- The Lower School campus is 0.4 miles from the Bethesda Metro station on the Red Line.
The School’s Auxiliary Programs Office contracts with an independent bus company to provide shuttle service between the Lower and Middle/Upper School campuses (see schedule). Students can sign up as one-way riders or round-trip riders for a fee.