Construction workers recently retrieved a time capsule from 1958 during renovations to the Kenworthy Gym building. The time capsule was retrieved from a brick wall behind the building’s cornerstone by crew members from Whiting-Turner Construction Company. It took several tools to open the copper box, which had been soldered shut.
Twenty items were inside the time capsule —now stored in the School’s Archives — including a yearbook, directory, Alumni Bulletins, and athletic letters corresponding to each of the three divisions. Also included were the minutes from the Class of 1955 meeting in December 1956 shortly after David Kenworthy ’55 died in a car accident. The class decided at that meeting to memorialize their classmate by raising money and naming the gym after him. Kenworthy was well-liked and served as class president all four years of high school.
The gym is currently being renovated into a Quaker meetinghouse. Previously, time capsules have been recovered from the original Middle School building and from the Upper School during its renovation in the late 1990s.
Click on the photo to see more photos taken by Loren Hardenbergh and from the School Archives.