Moving hundreds of students, parents, faculty and staff through the garage during peak hours is a challenge. Over the past year, the School has been working with the Parents Association and an outside consultant to improve traffic flow, and ensure the safety of our Community. We have sent recommendations to the DC Department of Transportation (DDOT) for action. For your safety and the safety of our students, please review and follow these required guidelines:
- Be respectful and patient. It is not always possible to get in and out of the garage quickly, especially at peak times. Please plan your activities accordingly, and remember that safety comes first.
- There is absolutely no cell phone usage (hands-free or not) while driving on campus. Model responsible driving behavior for our students.
- Pull forward to drop-off and pick-up students. Pull as far forward as you can to allow others to drop-off or pick-up behind you. Pull far to the right so that other cars can easily pass on the left. Direct students to enter and exit vehicles on the curb side only.
- Do not wait in the pick-up/drop-off lane; park in a space. Help support the environment and the health of our community by turning off your car while waiting.
- Do not double park or block key intersections. If you cannot find a parking place, continue through the garage in order to avoid blocking traffic, or park on the lower level of garage.
- Be considerate. If you see someone trying to pull out of a spot, please provide adequate space.
- Use caution when exiting by Post Office. This drive is shared by the Post Office and student walkers, who are often distracted or walking with headphones. If confused about which traffic signal to view, use the Rodman Street garage exit instead.
- If you need to wait for your student, find a spot in the garage, on a nearby street, or along Zartman Circle. Have your student call when he/she is ready for pickup, or come to a pre-arranged location.
- Feel free to use the Zartman Circle for drop-off and pick-up.
- Lower School parents meeting the bus are encouraged to use lower level parking. The lower level provides easy access to the pickup point to the Lower School bus by the north stairwell. It is also easier and safer to navigate with small children.
Many thanks for doing your part to keep our community safe. Questions or Comments, please contact Jeanne Gemmell at email@example.com or 202-537-8120.
Students parking in the garage must complete a Student Vehicle Registration Form.
Detailed information about using 37th Street for drop-off/pick-up (for 5th/6th graders) can be found here.