At Sidwell Friends, we invest in our teachers. Through a diverse offering of professional development opportunities, our faculty and staff demonstrate the same growth mindset they aim to instill in our students. Our offerings include
- Summer Venture Curriculum Development Grants: Teachers can apply for summer stipends while engaging in curriculum development projects, individually or as part of a collaborative team of teachers. Teachers may apply for funds for related travel, technology, consultants, and supplies.
- Employee Education Grants: Employees are eligible to apply for a grant to cover tuition for advanced degrees and other coursework.
- Sabbaticals: Teachers with at least 10 years of full-time consecutive service to Sidwell Friends are eligible to apply for a half-year sabbatical at full pay or a year-long sabbatical at half-pay. Funds are available to support limited sabbatical-related travel.
- Faculty Summer Travel Grants: Teachers with more than three years of experience are eligible to apply for funds for travel related to their area of professional expertise.
- Employees may apply for grants to support registration for and travel to professional conferences.
The professional development opportunities and ongoing support I have had to continue my growth as a teacher at Sidwell Friends have been nothing short of remarkable. As a teacher at SFS, I have the luxury of immersing myself in ideas, stretching myself to take new perspectives, challenging myself to ask deeper questions, and receiving all the support I need to keep learning.– Lower School Teacher