Thank you for your interest in Sidwell Friends School!
We’re so glad you’ve made your way to the admissions and financial aid section of our website. The admissions process is now underway! No matter your level of familiarity with Sidwell Friends School, please get to know us better by exploring the full website to see the exciting experiences our students and faculty are creating each day in and outside the classroom. We have routine openings in grades PK, K, 3, 4, 6, 7, and 9, so as you’re exploring we hope you will find stories that give you a great sense of what life is like throughout the lower, middle, and upper schools.
We also invite you to see us in person at an open house, info-session or tour. Events take place on both the Bethesda and the DC campuses. Please see our timeline for dates and then proceed here to create a profile and register for the activity you’re most interested in attending.
Questions about the admissions or the financial aid process? Please feel free to call or email our office. Contact information can be found on the right side of this page.
Sidwell Friends by the Numbers
students of color
tuition for 2018/19
of students receive financial aid
annual financial aid budget
average financial aid award
Here is a list of the questions we are most often asked by families who are interested in applying to Sidwell Friends. We hope it is helpful to you as you begin the process, but please don’t hesitate to reach out to the Admissions Office for assistance.
- How many students does Sidwell Friends have in each division?
- In which grades does Sidwell Friends admit new students?
- What is the student-teacher ratio?
- What are the hours of the school day?
- Does Sidwell Friends provide lunch?
- Does Sidwell Friends have before-school and after-school care?
- Which grades offer interscholastic sports?
- Is bus transportation available?
- Does Sidwell Friends have any boarding students?
The School admits most new students in the expansion grades:
- Prekindergarten: 20 new students
- Kindergarten: 28 new students
- 3rd grade: 12 new students
- 4th grade: 10 new students
- 6th grade: 16 new students
- 7th grade: 16 new students
- 9th grade: 30 new students
Students may be admitted in non-expansion grades if space is available. No students are admitted in 12th grade.
Sidwell Friends does not provide bus transportation to and from school, but both campuses are near public transportation:
- The Wisconsin Avenue (Middle/Upper School) campus is 0.7 miles from the Tenleytown/AU Metro station on the Red Line. Metrobus lines 30, 31, 33, 96, H3, and H4 serve the campus.
- The Lower School campus is 0.4 miles from the Bethesda Metro station on the Red Line.
The School’s Auxiliary Programs Office contracts with an independent bus company to provide shuttle service between the Lower and Middle/Upper School campuses (see schedule). Students can sign up as one-way riders or round-trip riders for a fee.