Thank you for your interest in Sidwell Friends School!
The deadline for our first round of applications has passed. We offer a late application process, and we will review late applications if space becomes available after the regular admissions process has concluded, typically in the late spring or early summer.
If a space becomes available, a member of our Admissions staff may contact applicant families about a tour and/or interview. Please click on the How to Apply link to submit a late application, and contact us with any questions.
Campus tours for families considering applying for the 2020/21 school year will start again in September 2019.
Notification date: Friday, March 1: login to your child’s Ravenna profile after 4:00 p.m. to view the decision
Acceptance Response deadline: Friday, March 15 by 9:00 a.m.
PARENT WELCOME EVENTS:
Parents of students admitted to PK, K, 3rd, 4th grades: Thursday, March 7 – 8:45 a.m.–11:00 a.m.
Parents of students admitted to 6th and 7th grade: Wednesday, March 6 – 7:45 a.m.–9:30 a.m.
Parents of students admitted to 9th grade: Tuesday, March 5 OR Wednesday, March 6 – 7:45 a.m.–9:30 a.m.
STUDENT REVISIT DATES:
Visit day for students accepted to 3rd grade: Wednesday, March 13 OR Thursday, March 14 – 8:45 a.m.–11:00 a.m.
Visit day for students accepted to 4th grade: Thursday, March 7 – 8:45 a.m.–11:00 a.m
Visit day for students accepted to 6th and 7th grade: Wednesday, March 6 – 7:45 a.m.–3:15 p.m.
Visit day for students accepted to 9th grade: Tuesday, March 5 OR Wednesday, March 6 – 7:45 a.m.–3:00 p.m.
Sidwell Friends by the Numbers
students of color
tuition for 2018/19
of students receive financial aid
annual financial aid budget
average financial aid award
Here is a list of the questions we are most often asked by families who are interested in applying to Sidwell Friends. We hope it is helpful to you as you begin the process, but please don’t hesitate to reach out to the Admissions Office for assistance.
- How many students does Sidwell Friends have in each division?
- In which grades does Sidwell Friends admit new students?
- What is the student-teacher ratio?
- What are the hours of the school day?
- Does Sidwell Friends provide lunch?
- Does Sidwell Friends have before-school and after-school care?
- Which grades offer interscholastic sports?
- Is bus transportation available?
- What is the application process for families who live out of town or overseas?
The School admits most new students in the expansion grades:
- Prekindergarten: 20 new students
- Kindergarten: 28 new students
- 3rd grade: 12 new students
- 4th grade: 10 new students
- 6th grade: 16 new students
- 7th grade: 16 new students
- 9th grade: 30 new students
Students may be admitted in non-expansion grades if space is available. No students are admitted in 12th grade.
Sidwell Friends does not provide bus transportation to and from school, but both campuses are near public transportation:
- The Wisconsin Avenue (Middle/Upper School) campus is 0.7 miles from the Tenleytown/AU Metro station on the Red Line. Metrobus lines 30, 31, 33, 96, H3, and H4 serve the campus.
- The Lower School campus is 0.4 miles from the Bethesda Metro station on the Red Line.
The School’s Auxiliary Programs Office contracts with an independent bus company to provide shuttle service between the Lower and Middle/Upper School campuses (see schedule). Students can sign up as one-way riders or round-trip riders for a fee.
We understand that applying from out of the area may present some challenges as you go through the admissions process. Please submit your application as soon as possible so that we can be of greatest help to your family throughout the admissions process.
If your child is an international applicant, Sidwell Friends does not offer a program in English as a Second Language (ESL). Therefore all students must be completely fluent in English reading, speaking and composition. Students applying to Middle School or Upper School are required to take the SSAT (Sidwell school code 7366) or the ISEE (Sidwell school code 090200). You may also submit the TOEFL as a supplement to the SSAT or ISEE.
Sidwell Friends is authorized to issue I-20s to international students entering grades 9–11 so that they may acquire an F-1 visa. Sidwell issues I-20s to international students only after they have been accepted and have enrolled in the school. We do not have boarding facilities or a homestay program. Students must live in the DC area with a parent or legal guardian.