Sidwell Friends believes in nourishing bodies as well as minds. Daily hot lunch is included with tuition and as an employee benefit. Our dining services team uses fresh ingredients to prepare a wide variety of daily offerings:
- Hot entrées, including vegetarian and vegan options, along with side dishes
- Salad bar featuring greens, vegetables, beans/legumes, meats, tofu, cheeses, eggs, as well as homemade dressings
- Make-your-own deli bar with all-natural meats, cheeses, toppings, and breads
- Homemade soup
- Fruit, yogurt, and granola bar
- Farm-friendly local milk, soy milk, and 100% juice
Lunch is really fun and cool because we get to eat really good food. They make the best food that everybody likes ... and also we get to chat and have fun with our friends.– 3RD GRADE STUDENT
The School’s commitment to environmental stewardship extends to our kitchens and cafeterias.
Our food is locally sourced:
- We use the freshest, healthiest, and closest ingredients available.
- We buy from local orchards, growers, and suppliers during the growing season to reduce the impact of long-distance deliveries on natural resources.
- Our grass-fed, hormone- and antibiotic-free milk comes from a local dairy.
- We support local communities and promote increased food safety.
We serve it sensibly:
- We rely on recyclable, renewable, biodegradable, and compostable single-use products.
- We reduce food waste by using leftovers creatively.
- We conserve water and electricity.
And we practice environmentally friendly clean-up:
- We compost all table scraps and kitchen scraps. We partner with a local composting organization and other Quaker schools to close the loop, renewing food waste to make fresh new farmable soil.
- We use environmentally sound cleaning products.